3 Days in Paris: First Impressions of the City of Love

Paris

After our 4 night stay in Budapest, we flew straight to Paris and I found out something about myself: I am unashamedly and utterly in love with Paris. This comes as no surprise as I’m already a self-confessed Francophile.

Paris Accommodation

We stayed at ‘Louvre Youth Hostel’, which was literally 2 minutes from the Louvre, in the 1st arrondissement. You really couldn’t get more central if you tried, which was pretty amazing. The actual hostel wasn’t quite so amazing, the staff were very grumpy and unhelpful, the breakfast was extremely average, (letting down your reputation there, France) the showers awful and the rooms were… strange. We had the highest room in the building (it was a very high building) and it felt like we’d been shoved in the attic. I can imagine it being quite cold in winter, the floor was tiled and the windows not very effective. You had to climb up metal ladders to get into the second half of the room and the bunk beds had no steps. We had to vault into our top bunks. Vault. However, it is the oldest hostel in Paris and the location really made up for its downsides. We weren’t planning on spending all that much time inside anyway.

IMG_5445

Rooftop view from our hostel <3

As soon as we arrived in the city, we were determined to hire bikes to ride along the river. This is pretty easy in Paris as they have Vélib bike stations located all around where you can take out a bike, ride it across the city and then take it back elsewhere. As long as you return it within half an hour this is completely free, other than a deposit of $150 each that is returned to you. (More on this later… stupid damn deposit). We actually found it quite hard to work the Vélib system but it was lovely to cycle around Paris once we’d figured it out. For a full guide on Paris by bike check out this amazing and super comprehensive article.

Eiffel Tower

You might not have heard about this little attraction called the Eiffel Tower, but I heartily recommend it. We decided to visit the tower the night we arrived and walked from our hostel along the river in the dark. When we turned the corner and saw it, illuminated in all its glory, all three of us screamed- it’s so much bigger than it seems in pictures. I was pretty starstruck by it after seeing it everywhere growing up. It’s a simple structure but beautiful. Buy a selfie stick – or bring one if you have one- and take a million photos in front of the tower or there’s really no point in going to Paris.

paris, france, europe, travel

Proud tourists

Arc de Triomphe

We reached the Arc de Triomphe by the metro as it was only a few stops from where we were by the Louvre. The Paris metro was really impressive, so much smoother and more modern than the underground in London! On arriving it took us a while to figure out that we had to go through an underground walkway to reach the Arc de Triomphe rather than attempting to cross Place Charles de Gaulle, a large junction of 12 roads (yes, 12). If you are under 25 and have a European passport, definitely bring this around with you in Paris, we got free access to this and many other sites around the city because of it, which was amazing! We climbed the gazillion and one steps to the top (again, Lyd “nearly died”) and it was spectacular, with 360 views around the whole of Paris. Definitely recommend, even if you have to pay I’d say it’s worth it.

paris, france, europe, travel

Views from Arc de Triomphe

Sacré Coeur

Sacré Coeur is more in the suburbs of Paris and it took a little longer to get to from our hostel. It’s a such a beautiful church and is featured in the last scene of one of my favourite films, Amélie so I really enjoyed visiting. It’s situated at the top of Montmatre hill, which is the highest point in Paris so again, exquisite views from here. We were really lucky with the weather on our trip as well so the hill made a top-notch sunbathing spot for a few hours relaxing with a picnic.

paris, france, europe, travel

Sacré Coeur

paris, france, europe, travel

View from the top of Sacré Coeur

Moulin Rouge

If you’ve seen the movie Moulin Rouge, then you’ll probably want to visit here just for a look. It’s only a five minute walk from Sacré Coeur so you might as well if you’re in the area. We only really looked at it from outside because you have to fork out your life savings to watch a show and really it was a bit underwhelming. It’s also among the largest collection of sex-shops I’ve ever had the pleasure of seeing in my life. Every single shop down the road. You can imagine how inventive some of the shop names had to get by the end of the street.

Check out my second post about Paris, there’s way too much to write in one post about this beautiful place.

If you liked this post, give it a share or save it on your favourite travel pinboard:

parispin3

Much love <3

You Might Also Like

49 Comments

lavieenrose2196
    May 5, 2016 at 8:59 pm

This reminded me of my time in Paris. Can’t say I’ve seen any place to compare Paris too, it’s my favorite place in the world! ❤

Bulldog Travels
    May 5, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Just got back from Paris last week myself. Maybe we saw each other tromping around?! I look forward to following your travels.

natalyadrian
    May 5, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Paris is my second home. This is where I lived for 17 years and where I have my flat. Was it your first trip to Paris? Cheers

worldinsidemypocket
      May 5, 2016 at 10:01 pm

Oh wow you’re so lucky, definitely planning on moving there after my degree for a bit 🙂 xx

natalyadrian
        May 5, 2016 at 10:06 pm

You should! There’s so much to do in Paris.

flyisabella
    May 5, 2016 at 11:00 pm

I love in London and despite all my travels I’ve still not made it to Paris! Devastating. Your post makes me want to go all the more ?

serenasinclair
    May 6, 2016 at 12:16 am

This sounds so amazing…except the hostel. I’m curious what happened with your deposit! I love looking at old cities, but I have yet to visit Paris. Hopefully some day!

Zumaria
    May 6, 2016 at 3:37 am

Well you know..the first step is admitting you have a problem… 😉 LOL

Trina's Travels
    May 6, 2016 at 4:33 am

I’d love to go to Paris! This is a great post and has definitely made me want to go even more! I love your style of writing! Very nice read and informative too ?

ginger joes journey
    May 6, 2016 at 7:07 am

It would literally take me an hour and a half to fly to Paris but I have never been ? Looks amazing!!

Jenny Stephens
    May 6, 2016 at 11:47 am

I am also in love with Paris! Really enjoyed reading this post 🙂

suivezlafemme
    May 6, 2016 at 6:46 pm

I studied abroad in Paris last summer ! When I get ore free time i plan on discussing it on my blog ! Hope you enjoyed it !!

worldinsidemypocket
      May 6, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Ah I’d love to hear about your study abroad adventures in Paris! I’m doing the same in Lyon next year beyond excited 🙂

Kasey Hull
    May 7, 2016 at 12:15 am

Got to say that it was a pretty read, you are really doing a fantastic job! You have a great sense of humor among your posts which is really good, I have to say that you’re a pretty good writer! Awesome job!(: By the way, I am looking forward to hearing part two on Monday! Good job on being consistent as well haha!

Mikele
    May 8, 2016 at 4:57 am

Lovely and at the same time majestic city! thanks for sharing your story:)

Paradise in Paris | worldinsidemypocket
    May 9, 2016 at 10:29 pm

[…] This is part 2 of my adventures in Paris! Check out part 1 here […]

Wild Wild Basch
    May 10, 2016 at 12:38 am

Thanks for sharing it with us! I’ve travelled France from the south to the North and I’ve visited more cities than I was expecting, but this all happened during a road trip, with no stops in France! I got to see the Eiffel Tower from far far away! And… in January 2016 I had layover in Charles de Gaulle airport when I travelled from Lisbon to Los Angeles!

Cheers.

Wild Wild Basch
    May 10, 2016 at 12:40 am

Cheers.

anotherday2paradise
    May 10, 2016 at 5:22 pm

Lovely photos, and how nice it must be to sunbathe on the hill with such a beautiful view. Paris is such a gorgeous city.

worldinsidemypocket
      May 10, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Thank you! It was amazing, we were so lucky with the weather the whole of our visit 🙂

kirkhsmith
    May 10, 2016 at 10:08 pm

Sounds like you were in a Chambre de Bonne at the youth hostel…. The maids quarters were alway on the top in small rooms. And no elevator. Hope you had a view at least!

worldinsidemypocket
      May 10, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Ahaha probably the case! Yeah the view from the window was beautiful 🙂

linhzyfemme
    May 11, 2016 at 12:06 am

Thanks for the visit! You enjoyed Paris, too, I see 😉 It’s really a beautiful city!

chels150
    May 12, 2016 at 9:26 am

I need to go to Paris! Sounds like you had a fab time!x

The travel bug bit me… | worldinsidemypocket
    May 19, 2016 at 4:11 pm

[…] September 2015, I took a mini European break through Budapest, Paris and Amsterdam with my best friends Cloé and Lyd. The trip was a spontaneous decision. We knew we […]

tinyweepanda
    May 19, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Haha I’m not really surprised you met some grumpy Parisians! There’s loads of them :p Glad you loved the city though and Montmartre will always be my favourite place in Paris! ?

Hanna
    July 15, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Great photos and style! 🙂 <3

antoinelifeexplorateur
    July 22, 2016 at 6:29 am

I lived in Paris for 5 years and I feel like I still do when I’m going back 🙂 I’m glad that you loved it : have you been at the Shakespeare & Co book store ? A very nice spot a slightly bit less famous than the Eiffel Tower 😉 If you’re still there, I encourage you to buy some win, salami and bread (Cote du Rhone, saucisson & baguette tradition – the parisian version of the baguette) and go chill by the river side between Jussieu and BNF or on the Ile de la Cite at the Square du Vert-Gallant and just talk to people. Not all parisians are grumpy, or at least not all the time.

worldinsidemypocket
      July 22, 2016 at 12:27 pm

No I went to a less well-known english bookstore which was beautiful as well 🙂 Ah thanks for the tip, I’m not still there but moving to France next year so I’m sure I’ll do that at some point!

bellarowcliffe
    July 22, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Great post, love the photos, I’m in love with Paris too!

Karthik Pillai
    August 26, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Thank you so much for following. This is a beautiful article!

- 3 days in Paris: Jardins, Notre-Dame and Museums
    October 19, 2016 at 5:01 pm

[…] This is part 2 of my adventures in Paris! Check out part 1 here […]

- The Travel Bug Bit Me: Finding Out My Own Passions
    October 19, 2016 at 10:57 pm

[…] September 2015, I took a mini European travel break through Budapest, Paris and Amsterdam with my best friends Cloé and Lyd. The trip was a spontaneous decision. We knew we […]

- 3 days in Amsterdam: The First of My Travel Disasters
    October 19, 2016 at 11:02 pm

[…] soon as we arrived in Amsterdam, everything seemed to go wrong. This is where the deposit from Vélib bikes in Paris came back to bite us. We had all of our travel money stored on one shared travel-card for ease and […]